Are you planning on trying an activity like deer hunting or duck hunting for the first time? If so, you’ll definitely want to take a look at our list of essential hunting gear for beginners.
Nobody wants to find themselves out in the field missing the things they need for a successful hunting trip. In this article, we’re outlining the right gear you need to go from a humble beginner to an experienced hunter. Let’s dive in!
Our Essential Hunting Gear for Beginners Checklist
For those of you out there wanting to cut to the chase, we’ve got you covered. Below is a printable gear list that covers everything we recommend taking on any hunting trip, regardless of your level of hunting experience. It is also suitable for rifle hunters, bow hunters and crossbow hunters alike, you’ll just need to make sure you have all the favorite weapon-specific accessories too.
Below the checklist, we’ve worked through the main items of hunting gear in a little more detail, just in case you need it.
Enjoy, and don’t forget Step 0!
Preparation For Your Hunt
The absolute first thing you need to do, Step 0 in our checklist, is to inform a trusted friend about your hunt. Even with perfect planning, things can wrong and the last thing you want is for nobody to realise you missing until it’s too late. Be sure to write down and hand over all the pertinent details of your hunt. Where you’re going, how to contact you, what you’re hunting, your expectations of weather conditions, who you’re travelling with, how you’re travelling and most importantly, when you expect to return home.
Before you even think about the actual gear you might need, it’s a good idea to ensure that you are fully prepped with the correct documentation you need in order to hunt.
In most states across the United States, you’re required to have a hunting license before you can go on any kind of hunting trip. You can click here to find more information about your specific state.
Although your hunting licence is a critical item to get sorted, there’s still more preparation and documentation required to ensure you are don’t wind up in any trouble with the law. All first-time hunters would do well to add the following to their list. These are all the different documentation items you’ll be glad you brought with you on your first hunt, and any other hunting trip for that matter:
- Hunting License
- Drivers License / Other ID
- Tags (such as deer tags for deer hunting)
- Landowner Permissions
We also highly recommended completing a Hunters Safety Course before going on your first hunt. By now, I am sure that you appreciate that hunting is dangerous. Hunting weapons are typically capable of taking down whitetail deer, which weigh 110-160lbs, sometimes more. With that level of takedown power, they can seriously hurt and even kill a person, so you need to be extremely careful.
Beyond your weapon, the wilderness is deathtrap to an ill-prepared or inexperienced individual. One misplaced step and you can easily slip and seriously hurt yourself, becoming stranded. A quality safety course will help make sure that these things never happen to you. It’s also worthwhile reading hunting safety related articles. Information is power! A good place to start is our bowhunting safety guide and/or our crossbow safety guide.
Now that you have your documents in order, it’s time for the fun stuff! Let’s start with your weapon of choice. We’re a bow hunting website, so we’ll stay focused on bows and crossbows, but if you’re a rifle hunter I trust you know what to do with your gun!
If you’re a beginner, we recommend a bow or crossbow that’s easy-to-handle, reasonably forgiving when aiming, has a low draw weight, doesn’t weigh too much, doesn’t shoot too fast and ideally one that’s not too expensive. If you are on the search for your first weapon, check out each of our guides:
Best Compound Bows For Beginners
Best Recurve Hunting Bow Guide
Understanding The Parts Of A Crossbow
Below we’ve selected a one good examples from each type of bow for you to take a look at, but there are honestly loads of quality options. Just remember to do your research!
Beginner Crossbow: Barnett Whitetail Hunter Crossbow
- BARNETT WHITETAIL HUNTER CROSSBOW STR WITH CRANK DEVICE: Ultra-compact compound crossbow with complete hunting accessory package. Features an integrated crank cocking device and shoots 375 feet per second
- EFFICIENT: Crossbow is equipped with Step-Through Riser (STR) technology that reduces the length of the crossbow and has an overall weight of just 6.6 lbs., creating an easily controllable profile that hunters of all skills and sizes can manage
- SAFETY FEATURES: Soft Lok Floating Bristle Arrow Retainer, Anti-Dry Fire Trigger System, Finger Safety reminders, TriggerTech Frictionless Release Technology. Specs: Weight of 6. 6 Lbs, axle to axle width of 18.125", Dimensions: 34.875" X 20.125"
If you want your first hunting weapon, this crossbow is a fantastic option to show you just how awesome hunting can be! It’s very affordable and comes with some great features for that will significantly improve your hunting experience.
Firstly, it’s lightweight and has a relative short length, making it easier to carry, hold and aim. This is largely due to to the step-through riser design, allowing you to cock the crossbow manually or with a rope cocker by stepping through the riser itself, rather than a foot stirrup. This innovation reduces weight and length and is a design speciality from Barnett.
It also comes ready-to-shoot with a 4x32mm scope, two bolts fitted with broadheads and a rope cocking aid. Cocking your crossbow with a rope cocking aid can be a little challenging at first. You should definitely learn how to use a rope cocker as it’s single most common cocking method, but if you’d like something a little easier, there’s an option to buy this model with a simple crank system pre-installed (Amazon link). How convenient!
You might want to check out our guide on must-have crossbow accessories too, as there’s a few extra bits and pieces you might want to invest in before you go hunting.
Beginner Compound Bow: Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Compound Bow
- Wide draw length range between 13 and 31 inches
- Accelerates arrows to up to 310 ft/sec
- Redesigned cam system for a flawlessly smooth draw
If compound bows are your weapon of choice (they’re definitely my favorite!), then Diamond Archery’s Infinite Edge Pro is honestly hard to beat as a beginner compound bow. Compound bows are complex, but this one is very accessible to beginners. One of the best features is the massive range of draw weights and draw widths the bow can be set to. This level of flexibility makes it suitable for almost anyone. Even first time shooters will feel comfortable!
It also means you can adjust the effective power of the bow to suit your prey. Whether you’re a turkey hunter, duck hunter or deer hunter, this bow will get the job done. High draw weights lead to greater arrow velocity and more takedown power, but when hunting small game like birds, squirrel or vermin, you can just lower the draw weight so you don’t make a complete mess of your target.
Again, this bow comes at a great price and is ready-to-shoot, including 3-Pin Tundra sight, BCY string loop, integrated stabilizer, hostage XL arrow rest (it’s decent but you may want to upgrade to one from our best arrow rest list), quiver, tube peep sight, and wrist sling. The only thing that’s missing are the arrows. Bummer!
Beginner Recurve Bow: Samick Sage Recurve Bow
- SIZE – the Samick Sage Recurve bow is 62” long, 28” draw length, and choose your draw weight from 25-60lb.
- INCLUDES: Riser - 2 Fiberglass laminated limbs - 14 Strands dacron bowstring – Stick on arrow rest – assembly instructions. Limbs are interchangeable and can be purchased separately.
- HAND ORIENTATION - Right Handed - Hold the bow with your LEFT hand and pull the string with your RIGHT. Left Handed - Hold the bow with your RIGHT hand and pull the string with your LEFT.
If you’re looking for the cheapest way to hunt, then recurve bow hunting is definitely the way to go. Also called traditional bow hunting, recurve bows are much more similar to the medieval archery you’ve seen in Robin Hood or Lord of the Rings. Although modern technology is still applied in the manufacturing, there are far fewer gadgets and gizmos, which keeps the prices much lower. Yay!
Although a recurve bow will never reach the speeds of a compound bow or crossbow, at high draw weights they can still take down large prey like deer. The Samick Sage is an outstanding beginner options as, similar to the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro, its offers a wide range of draw weights to suit almost anyone. The price is very attractive and it comes with an arrow rest installed and a decent quality bowstring.
The laminated construction provides great durability and the ergonomic grip makes shooting much more comfortable. The takedown design (easy to deconstruct and reconstruct the bow) will also help with storage and transportation.
Proper Hunting Clothing
Your weapon is obviously key to your hunting success. But it’s also super important to to outfit yourself in proper hunting clothing that will stand up to conditions in the wilderness. This is especially true if you are planning on backcountry hunting (hiking deep into the wilderness, likely camping overnight).
It’s also important to know that some jurisdictions required mandatory “blaze orange” vests and hats for hunting. These neon orange colors are not found in nature and are easily identifiable, meaning that other hunters will easily spot you and you them, so no mishaps occur.
Beyond the essentials we’ve shown below, don’t forget about your base layer. Wear something comfortable and consider thermals, especially if you’re hunting in the cold.
Hunting Pack: Badlands 2200 Hunting Backpack
- LONG HAUL COMFORT - Badlands' molded memory foam suspension starts out comfortable, and just gets better with time, as the harness conforms to your body. With the reverse tightening feature on our waist belts, you pull the belt's ends inwards, rather than outwards to give you the leverage you need to properly cinch your belt for maximum carrying comfort.
- MOVE OVER, ALUMINUM - Aircraft grade aluminum has been a go-to material for pack frames for years, due to its strength and minimal weight. Yet at Badlands, we thought we could do better, and we did. The proprietary magnesium alloy we use in our frame stays is twice as strong as T6 aluminum, and even lighter in weight.
- KXO-50 FABRIC - This new fabric has all the features you love about KXO-32 fabric - it's insanely tough, incredibly quiet, and absolutely waterproof. What's different, you say? KXO-50 is even lighter in weight. But we didn't stop there with the 2200. Badlands' C6 Durable Water Repellent (DWR) treatment doesn't allow moisture to seep into fabrics. Water beads and rolls off, keeping your gear dry, longer.
A good hunting pack can make or break a hunting trip. No joke. It’s what’s going to hold all your essential items and high-end packs can even help you to carry your weapon, blinds and tree stands! You need something spacious, durable, reliable, and easy enough to wear for long stretches of time.
Thankfully this recommended pack does exactly that! Badlands packs are designed for long wearability and optimum comfort. It’s made of durable, water-resistant materials that can survive tough outdoor environments. It’s also equipped with a multitude of handy compartments, has a detachable rifle/bow boot, aluminum framing, and a built in meat shelf.
You’ll look like a true pro with a pack like this. Even backcountry hunters will love this one.
If this isn’t quite the one for you, check out our complete guide on the best bowhunting backpacks.
Hunting Boots: Rocky Men’s Retraction Hunting Boot
- Guaranteed Rocky Waterproof Construction
- Realtree Xtra Camo Nylon
- 800 Grams 3M Thinsulate Ultra Insulation
Hunting means a lot of time spent on your feet traversing the outdoors. Proper support for your feet is critical. This means you’ll want a good pair of boots that can keep you moving all day long.
We love these Rocky hunting boots for their versatility. These boots are made with waterproof construction, a tough rubber outsole, and are fitted with comfortable memory foam footbeds.
With these boots, you’ll be comfortable with every step you take, able to keep moving all day long. Be sure to also pair these with some good socks (Amazon link) as well, for the best experience.
These boots aren’t going to be for everyone. So if you need some more inspiration, check out our guide on the best hunting hiking boots. Alternatively, if you are hunting in subzero temperatures and lots of snow, you are going to need boots that can stand up to the extreme conditions. Our reviews of the warmest hunting boots list the best winter-ready boots for your next hunting trip.
Hunting Jacket and Hunting Pants: TIDEWE Water Resistant Silent Hunting Jacket and Pants
- 【Professional Hunting Design】TIDEWE realtree edge camo hunting clothes effectively reduce noise by using quiet material and the design of magnet buckles within the clothing. It allows you to remain stealthy and unnoticed by animals while hunting. Safety strap supporting design（Safety Strap Not Included）on the back allows you to comfortably wear a safety harness underneath your jacket.
- 【Water-resistant & Comfortable】 TIDEWE men hunting clothes are made from water-resistant and breathable exterior fabric. It repels moisture and keeps you dry in light rain or snow. The fleece lining provides a soft and comfortable fit and it keeps you warm at the same time.
- 【9 Pockets Design】 The hunting suit has 9 strategically placed pockets. The jacket provides four pockets while the pants have five. They keep your hands warm in outdoor activity and is large enough for any gear you may need to have on you.
It’s not enough to just go for any kind of clothing with camo print! For a successful hunt, you’ll want to make sure you are wearing clothes that are warm, reliable, and tough enough to battle the outdoor elements.
This set from Tidewe comes with a waterproof, fleece-lined jacket and pants perfect for a first-time hunter! This set is made of quiet fabric for noise reduction, has 9 handy pockets, has adjustable wrist and waistbands for a tight fit, and safety straps.
Although this combo is waterproof and weatherproof, if you’re expecting particularly bad weather you may also want to consider getting rain gear like a camo poncho (Amazon link).
If you still aren’t sure, check out our list of the best hunting jackets for plenty of other great options.
Hunting Gloves: ScentLok Men’s Midweight Camo Hunting Gloves
- ADAPTABLE FOR YOUR ENVIRONMENT: Our hunting clothes and accessories are durable in the outdoors but comfortable enough for the long chase. These cool-weather gloves use a moisture wicking treatment to wick sweat and keep you cool. They also feature adjustable stretch fit cuffs to keep these outdoor gloves securely on your hands when the hunting gets good.
- DURABLE & COMFORTABLE: Made with a smooth, durable, premium polyester interlock fabric, these gloves are deadly quiet and have premier scent-blocking abilities. The silicone printed palms help with your grip when it's time to take your shot. Wear these gloves to complete your hunting suit system and get that advantage you need while out in the field.
- SCENT CONTROL: Our ScentLok Carbon Alloy technology combines treated and activated carbon with zeolite to absorb odors your body generates. The massive surface area of these natural particles pulls odors in and doesn’t let them out until you reactivate your gear in the dryer. The ultimate advantage in whitetail deer hunting is using scent control gloves.
Many people don’t think of hunting gloves when compiling hunting gear, but they can make a big difference!
Hunting gloves are great for keeping your hands warm, and keeping them safe when using tools like bows and pocket knives. Hunting gloves can also be beneficial in containing your scent, and reducing leaving a scent trail as you move.
These ScentLock gloves do exactly that, making them a great choice for hunters. They’re also moisture-wicking, made of quiet fabric, and will still allow you to use touchscreen devices even while wearing them.
ScentLok is definitely one of the best brands of hunting gloves out there, but if your hunting adventure sees you taking on the extreme cold, keeping your hands nice a toasty is going to be key to an enjoyable and successful hunt. Hand warmers are a great idea but you may also want to go for gloves specifically designed for the cold. Check out our reviews of the warmest hunting gloves for some great options to keep you warm!
Must-Have Items To Keep In Your Hunting Backpack
No matter what you’re hunting, bringing along the tools we’ve highlighted below is a good idea. If you need some tips on how to fit everything in, check out our guide on how to pack your hunting backpack.
GPS: Garmin eTrex 22x Handheld GPS Navigator
- Explore confidently with the reliable handheld GPS
- 2.2" sunlight-readable color display with 240 x 320 display pixels for improved readability
- Preloaded with Topo Active maps with routable roads and trails for cycling and hiking
Depending on where your hunt takes place, you’re going to want to ensure you have a reliable GPS on you so you don’t get lost!
This GPS from Garmin is great for the job. It has a reliable map, comes equipped with a compass, and even lets you set waypoints to track where you are. Preloaded topo-active maps, this device allows you to easily journey away from reliable service, and still know where you are.
If you want to compare the competition, our list of the best handheld GPS models is a great place to look.
Binoculars: Bushnell PowerView Binoculars
- Quality optics with stunning HD clarity
- 100% quality materials used and tested extensively
- Beautiful design and durability built to last
Binoculars can be super helpful for a first time hunter, providing great visibility of the areas surrounding you during your hunt.
These binoculars in particular are great for hunting, and capable of 10x magnification. They’re also built to last, with high-quality prims glass and a convenient carrying case.
A great alternative to binoculars for bow hunters is a range finder. These will double as a long-range vision and also help you determine the exact distance to your target, allowing you to make the necessary adjustments to your aim to get the kill shot. Check out our list of the best rangefinders for bow hunting if you’re interested.
If you like the idea of binoculars but aren’t convinced on the PowerView, then take a look at the others great options we’ve reviewed in our guide on the best binoculars.
Hunting Knife: SOG Seal Strike Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath
- 4.9 INCH AUS-8 STAINLESS STEEL FULL TANG KNIFE BLADE: The SEAL Strike fixed blade knife is a field-tested combat knife, camping knife, boot knife and hunting knife; measures 9.6 inches in total length
- 5.6 OUNCE WT. W/ GRN STAINLESS STEEL HANDLE: A tough outdoor knife handle for fixed blade survival knives with sheath; glass-reinforced nylon offers great grip and stainless steel reinforces
- BLACK TITANIUM NITRIDE COATING: A blade far stronger than your average bushcraft knife and Bowie knife with sheath; SOG’s cryogenic heat treatment hardens fixed blade knives at the atomic level
Hunting knives can be super useful when outdoors.
This knife from SOG might be small but its mighty! It is ultra sharp and the partially serrated drop point blade means it can be used for all kinds of things during a hunt. From skinning game to slicing meat, there are plenty of times where you’ll find yourself reaching for your hunting knife.
Don’t forget to look after it though. Sharpen you’re knife it regularly and don’t leave it out in the elements when you’re done with it. If you look after your knife, it will look after you.
Hunting knives are a fantastic and versatile tool for hunters, so you need to make sure you buy a knife you are comfortable with and that suits your needs. If this knife isn’t to your liking, then don’t worry! We’ve got plenty of other options for you to see in our best hunting knife reviews list.
Trail Camera: Vikeri A1 Trail Camera
- Video Ultra High Resolution - Resolution deliver stunning vibrant images and clear audible videos even during the dark night, with a built-in 2.4" LCD color screen, it moves you closer to watch wildlife
- IP66 Waterproof & Heavy-Duty - Use high grade IP66 materials, extremely durable from seal to probe lens. protects your trail camera, ensure that can prevent rain-proof, drop-proof and dust-proof, and also ensure it could work in tough environments like tropical rain forest or desert
- Amazing Faster 0.2s Trigger Speed - The trigger distance is up to 25m(80ft) day/20m(65ft)night. Once movements are detected, the lightning-fast trigger speed of less than 0.2s with 1 to 3 shots choice guarantees fast and accurate capture of each detected motion exposed to the field of this game trail camera hunting before shooting
Trail cameras are a fantastic way to track your prey. This ultra high resolution trail camera from Vikeri is a fantastic value option for first-time hunter / trackers. Its IP66 Waterproof rated, meaning it will stand up to almost any weather conditions and it has an extremely durable body and lens to boot.
With a trigger distance of 80ft in daylight and 65ft at night, 120 degree viewing field and a 0.2 second response time, you won’t miss a thing once this bad boy is set up! The mounting strap easily attaches to trees and the captured footage looks crisp on the 2.4″ LCD display.
Once you’ve found their trail, mark it out with your trail marking tape and track your prey to the perfect vantage point!
Gear For Hunting Specific Prey
The specific hunting gear you want to bring will vary depending on what you’re hunting. For example, you’ll need different gear for bird hunting when compared to hunting whitetail deer.
Here are some gear recommendations, based on commonly hunted animals.
Deer Hunting Gear
Deer season can be a lot of fun. But whether you’re hunting whitetail or mule deer, you need to be aware that all deer are very skittish creatures. They are hyper-aware and their senses are finely tuned. If you’re off on your first-ever deer hunt, you’ll need the right gear to give you the upper hand. The items below will be a great help, but you might also want to check out our guide on deer hunting with a bow, to give you a few pointers before you start.
Scent Cover: Scent Killer 1259 Wildlife Research Gold
A deer’s sense of smell is ultra-sensitive. A long hunt is tough work and you’re almost guaranteed to sweat and start to smell. This could quickly give you away and ruin all your hard work to track your prey and position yourself. Luckily, there are odour fighting technologies you can use to eliminate your stinky bouquet.
This scent-stopping spray is an essential tool for any first time deer hunters, with lab testing demonstrating that this spray is 99% effective at stopping human odors! Not only is this scent killer great for deer hunting, it will also serve your well on other hunting adventures where you need your scent trail to disappear. After all, deer aren’t the only animals with great olfactory senses.
Hunting Blind: Thunderbay Portable Quick Setup Lightweight Camouflage Pop Up 3-Sided Ground Hunting Blind
- Size: 48 inch(W) x 48 inch(H) each panel; Fabric Height: 36 inch; Mesh Height: 12 inch; weight 6.2 lb, Suitable for 1 to 2 person
- Fabric: Made of durable Textilene material.
- Portable: Three-hub design offers quick set-up and take-down.
Deer also have keen vision. That’s why camouflage is so important on a hunt. But its difficult to stay still for long periods of time as you wait for the perfect moment to strike. That’s where a hunting blind comes in. It offers a fixed cover and will blend into the background while you hide behind or inside it, making it much easier to remain unseen.
We love this hunting blind from Thunderbay for its quick installation and great visibility level. You can easily set this blind up, settle in, and eagerly await some deer to cross your path. Just remember to stay quiet!
An alternative way to get the jump on your prey is to secure a vantage point up in the tree. Our list of the best hang on tree stands is a great place to see some of the awesome options available to high-up hunters!
Deer Drag: Do-All Outdoors – Pro Deer Drag
- REDUCES STRAIN: minimizes the toll that carrying deer will take on user's body
- DRAG WITH EASE: dragging deer will be much easier with drag strap
- EASY TO APPLY: simply slip harness over the head of the deer. No tying required
Deer drags are another essential for deer hunters. They make it easier to move big game out of the woods and into your truck, minimizing the strain and effort it will take on you.
This deer drag from do-all outdoors is a great choice! It’s made of high-quality fabric, has a comfortable padded handle, and can withstand the weight of most large game.
Before you start dragging your deer back to the car, you will need to know how to field dress it. It takes a little practice and is not for the squeamish. So take a deep breath, take a little help from our guide on how to field dress a deer and get some practice in. You’ll be a pro in no time!
Elk Hunting Gear
If you’re looking to take down a trophy that will be the envy of all your hunting friends, then an elk is pretty hard to beat. These creatures are BIG and will need some serious power in your weapon to take one down, not to mention some great hunting skills and of course a little bit of luck!
If you’re trying it for the first time, these pieces of hunting gear can make a big difference. Don’t forget to get yourself a quality elk hunting backpack to fit everything in!
Elk Call: Primos Elk Call
- Quality materials used for all Primos products
- 100% designed and tested for the toughest situations and environments
- Whether you are a professional, recreational user, or even casual, Primos will fit the mold for all types of people
Those looking to speed up the elk hunting process will appreciate this elk call from Primos Hunting.
Reviewers agree that this is a high quality elk call device, and is super effective at alerting any elk within your vicinity. These elk calls are field-tested and hunter approved, and make an essential addition to any hunters tool kit!
Game Cart: GoPlus Folding Hunting Hauler Cart
- 🦌【500LBS Weight Capacity】 Goplus steel construction hunting hauler cart with 500 lbs weight capacity is perfect for moving big trophy game, bait, gear, firewood and more. Besides, the locking pins on wheels are used for fixation, ensuring great stability of this deer cart.
- 🦌【17" Steel Axle Large wheels】 With 17" diameter and 1.5" thickness rubber tire, our heavy duty steel axle wheels can provide the game cart enough support to move in the wild outdoors. These wear-resistant and shock-resistant tires are suitable for different roads, such as gravel, grass, sand and so on. And the rubber tires are wear-resistant, which are suitable for different roads.
- 🦌【Utility Cart with Large Space】 69" x 18" overall dimension provides plenty of room for carrying games and hunting equipment. The handle is ergonomically designed, which is convenient for transportation and reduces the fatigue when pushing. Besides, this deer cart is especially ideal for hunting season, helping you transport large trophies and allowing you to enjoy the hunting time.
Unless you’re Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, dragging a 300 pound gutted elk through the woods back to your car is going to be a real struggle. It can be done, but we recommend a hunting hauler cart or game cart instead. It will make things much easier.
This one from GoPlus can carry up to 500 pounds, so will be suitable for almost any kill. They are also useful for carrying your gear from the car to camp or your base of operations and can be especially useful if you have larger hunting accessories like ground blinds or ladder stands.
Game Bag: Koola Buck 5-Pack Reusable Hunting Game Bags
- 5 PACK or SINGLE BAG OPTIONS -- Koola Buck has added a fifth bag to their standard 4 bag set to carry backstraps, tenderloins and other cuts. Also available in a single full body bag option.
- HIGH-QUALITY TIGHTLY WOVEN -- durable, form fitting, cotton/poly blend.
- WASH and REUSE -- Wash bag after use, dry, store, and use for your next hunt.
Any experienced hunter will tell you that game bags are essential, especially when hunting big game. These handy tools are used to promote better cleanliness, allowing you to safely wrap up captured game for easy transport. They also help in cooling the meat, for safer transport after hunting.
This pack of game bags from Koola Buck is perfect for a beginner hunters kit. These game bags are extra large in size, perfect for large game like deer, moose, or elk. They’re also fully reusable, making them a great one time purchase!
Bird Hunting Gear
Whether you’re trying to hunt duck or turkey, bird hunting is a popular first time hunting experience. Here are the items that can help you out during your first time. You might also want to check out our beginner’s guide to duck hunting with a bow or our lesson on where to a shoot a turkey with a bow.
Duck Decoys: Cupped Waterfowl Teal Duck Decoys
- ATTRACT THE LARGEST GOBBLER - Use this wild turkey glass call to imitate real and unique pitches even the wisest old male will be fooled by. Frosted glass allows you to use the call right away without conditioning. Made for beginners and pros alike, this pot friction call makes clucks, purrs, yelps, fly down cackles and excited cutting.
- EASY TO USE - Whether you're a beginner or a pro hunter, this glass turkey pot call makes deep-rich seductive hen sounds with excellent volume. The two piece hickory striker gives you the perfect match to make those hard to reach tones
- UTILIZE THE SEASON - Spring is turkey breeding season, and the gobbler's strutting and desire to breed hens gives you an edge. This is the optimal time to get your turkey hunting accessories like this glass pot call. Hens will vocalize with clucking and yelping as the males strut and gobble for breeding.
Whether its your first duck hunt or you the leader of a group of experienced duck hunters, bringing along some duck decoys in your hunting pack can make a huge difference in your overall success rate.
Decoy ducks are a simple but effective way to drive more wildlife your way, making spotting waterfowl much easier. These duck decoys come with 6 realistic figurines weighted with keel weights for natural movement in the water.
Turkey Call: ESH Custom Calls Turkey Call
- CUPPED WATERFOWL TEAL DUCK DECOYS: Extremely Realistic 6-Pack of Teal Duck Floater Decoys with Weighted Keels
- HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION & REALISTIC DESIGN: Each decoy is molded from heavy duty plastic that is lightweight and durable for long term use and wear; Lifelike paint scheme is bright and detailed for added realism
- WEIGHTED KEEL: Keel is weighted for balance and realistic motion on water
If you want to be a pro turkey hunter you need a reliable way of attracting your target. This product from ESH Custom Calls is amazingly realistic. It uses friction on a wooden pan to mimic the sound of turkey hen, attracting the big males so you can take them out!
Better yet, the wooden pan can be personalized with a picture and text. This means it will also make a really great gift for one of your hunting buddies. You could use a picture from your first turkey hunt together!
Is There Any Other Essential Hunting Gear For Beginners?
We’ve covered loads of stuff above. But we haven’t covered the basics. These are mission-critical items that are often forgotten in the excitement of the trip. Let’s get to it.
Don’t forget Step 0 in our checklist, to inform a trusted friend about your hunt, including where you’re going and when you expect to return home, and be sure to write it down or text it so they can refer back to the details in case they forget. With that sorted, we’ve listed the basic items you’ll need on every hunt below.
- Water – Critical for survival. Don’t leave home without it and make sure to carry more than you need as dehydration can be lethal
- Food – Sustenance is essential, although it may be tempting to pack light, always pack more than you need, just in case
- First Aid Kit – Injuries on a hunt are not uncommon, so be prepared to to treat them. Check out this guide for what you need in a first aid kit
- Mobile Phone + Portable Charger – You rarely leave home without it anyway, but people often forget to take a portable charger
- Lighter / Fire Lighting Gear – Take this even if you don’t plan on camping overnight. Warmth will be critical if you become stranded
- Toilet Paper – You use this to wipe… you get the picture
- Spare Batteries – Very handy if you have anything battery operated on the trip
- Two-way radios – Amazingly useful (and also amazingly fun!) if you are hunting with a buddy or a group
- Headlamp – Super simple way to help you see in the dark that keeps your hands free
- Seat – Doesn’t hurt to be comfy! Seriously though, a great idea. Don’t forget a cushion!
- Hand Warmer + Dry towel – Particularly important if you’re expecting wet weather or expect to be traversing water
- Cooler – For your supplies and also for your harvest. Maybe for a few beers too!
So hunters, remember. Don’t pack light, pack right! If you follow this guide and takes some learnings from the guides we’ve linked within, you’ll be a pro in no time!
Good luck out there!